So I've never really been one for New Years resolutions or setting goals, and that's probably not a good thing. It likely shows a lack of forethought and willpower. But whatever. Just because I haven't done so in the past, that doesn't actually prevent me from doing so moving forward (while that seems obvious, that occurred to me fairly recently). I've been doing a lot of introspection recently, and have come up with some things I want to do in the next year. To help me stick to that, I'm going to try to write about it more often (actually, that's also one of the things I want to do, but I digress). So, without any additional preamble, here are at least some of the things I want to work on, and hold myself accountable to, in 2017.
Spend more quite time alone
- Why: I spend a decent amount of time alone, with nearly an hour commute each way for work. Along with other household responsibilities, there's plenty of time there for some reflection. But I'm not reflecting. I spend all of this time consuming things. Audio books, podcasts, music, etc. I keep jamming new thoughts into my head, without giving them the space to roll around and resolve.
- Tangible Goal: Spend at least one commute each week with nothing playing.
- Why: In the few months I've been dabbling in sporadic medidataion, I've found that the times I do it, its very helpful. It helps me be calm, and more with the introspection. I feel better and more in control of myself when I do this.
- Tangible Goal: Meditate for at least 15 minutes, at least 3 days a week.
- Tangible Goal: Practice Mindful Meditation at least once per week.
Read different things
- Why: I read (and listen to audiobooks. Which, while very different, I'm going to call the same thing here, because I really mean "consume books") quite a bit. But its a lot of the same kinds of things. SicFi, Cyberpunk, Fantasy (a lot of Urban Fantasy recently). While any of those genres has enough sub-genres to produce more than a lifetime of entertainment, its not doing a lot to make me well rounded.
- Tangible Goal: At least one of the books I "read" each month should be something outside of my usual selection. Mysteries, Noir, Religion, Non-Fiction, Historical Fiction. Anything other than "more of the same"
- Why: I've never really given much thought to my career path. I've just kind of taken things as they come. I feel that I need to start being a bit more active in directing my professional development. This way I can do more than be what my employer needs me to be. I can star being what I want to be.
- Tangible Goal: Achieve at least one professional certification in 2017
- Tangible Goal: Come up with 5/10/15 year goals before the end of 2017
- Why: I've never put much thought into being healthy, long term. I don't eat that well. I'm not very active. I really should do something about that
- Tangible Goal: Go to the gym at least 2 days a week.
- Tangible Goal: Get to or below 250lbs (I am starting this at 270lbs)
- Why: HPR is a fantastic podcasting community (seriously, if you don't know them, go check them out). I want to contribute more to them
- Tangible Goal: Release at least 2 HPR shows in 2017. (Solo shows, if doing collaboration shows, do more!)
Write more often:
- Why: Since I started this site, I've found that writing really does help me sort through my thoughts and put the into some kind of order. Its yet another excercise in introspection.
- Tangible Goal: Post at least one reflection every week.
- Tangible Goal: Post monthly on my progress with these goals.